Saturday 5 September 2009

Current wip


I'm a bit behind with my basing and have been rather remiss with taking photos of completed stuff. Tomorrow I'll post the second half of my First Carlist War BAL Rifles Corps, which I painted weeks ago but then forgot about. Towards the end of the week I should have Prince Rupert's Foote finished and some AWI British infantry. In the meantime, I must post pics of the huge FCW game I had with the Perries a while back. I've undercoated some AWI Perry Iroquois figures, and if I can drag myself out of bed at 6am next week I'm hoping to polish those off fairly quickly by squeezing in more early morning painting time.

In the meantime, here are the first figures in what may or may not develop into a new project - the First Crusade. I've always admired the range Michael Perry has produced for this period, which has lots of exotic troop types and many beautiful sculpts. NZ wargaming friend "Valleyboy" has been posting pics of his beautiful Islamic forces (see here) and I've just finished reading Thomas Asbridge's entertaining "new history" of the war, so inspiration is running high at the moment. The First Crusade itself did not have many pitched battles, but the period is ripe for "what ifs" and last week I found myself ordering a few packs. We'll see where it goes - I think I need a couple of periods to work on which don't require that much effort; the figures here were painted during the course of 2 evenings, much more quickly than usual horse and musket fare (1880s Sudan is my other slow-burning "easy painting period"). I've even written down a plan of sorts of what each army might consist of - the first time I've actually done this. So who knows - as with the ECW, we'll just have to see where it goes. I suspect the most difficult part of the project, which may in fact sink it, will be finding a set of rules that I like.

5 comments:

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Ahhh,these a shaping up very nicely.I'm looking forward to seeing where this project goes.

El Grego said...

Very nice, Giles.

This project (or maybe Third Crusade) is on my radar also, but nothing will come of it until next year at the earliest. I'll be watching your commentary on rules with interest...

legatus hedlius said...

I painted three dozen Perry Turcomen Horse archers for a SOA game a few years ago.We used Ironbow 2. I'm painting Crusader Normans at the moment so can't really justify the Perry figures so I will enjoy yours vicariously!

Anonymous said...

Nicely painted as usual. I have a mix of figures from both sides of this range to use as Sicilian Normans and friends.

Early morning painting has worked a treat for me. I find I am at my best before the drudgery of the day takes it's toll. Now I always manage to sneak in at least 30-40 minutes. It is a great way to start off the day.

Good luck and I am looking forward to all of the mentioned photo sets.

Aaron

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

25mm Medevials are always something I've wanted to do, but lacked a good enough rule set to entice me to start painting. I've always fancied some type of small unit or skirmish gaming in this period. It just smacks of all those old classic storming the castle movies I loved as a youth.

These are marvelously painted as usual. I'd be happy to see more if you return to this project.